Going Really Long!

Friday 11 June 2010

At last ... on the start line!

Dave and I drove up this morning and have spent this afternoon checking in and organising everything. Having spent months and months preparing we can hardly believe we are actually here! We had had our doubts about some of the organisation but on arrival our fears were soon quelled. The base camp set up is amazing. We had hoped to post a few photos today whilst I still have the laptop but alas the weather is not as amazing! We have horizontal rain and gale force winds, this does not auger well for the start tomorrow! We had an excellent meal at 6, more akin to a luxury cruise than camping food and the Catering Manager has already sorted out some different things for me for the lunch pit stops and breakfasts, so far a faultless service. 600 hundred riders and a big back up staff of volunteers, many from Deloitte who are sponsoring the event. I think we (the whole ride) have nearly reached the goal for raising £200,000 for Paralympics. There are a number of GB paralympians around the place and a some I believe are riding as well. James Cracknell as well (it's his company organising the event). Dave and I set off toward the end of the group around 7:45 I guess. At the moment there is a massive head wind for the first 30 miles, let's just hope the weather blows through overnight. I'm tucked up in Elly as Adrian has come up with us to see us off tomorrow. He will drive down to Lands End next weekend to meet us. All that remains is to sleep ... next post will be from Base Camp 2, 104 miles away I hope, technology permitting. Grokking on :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment