Going Really Long!

Saturday 19 June 2010

Nearly There!

The epic journey is coming to a close. Today's leg was excellent, I would call it a fair course, it had testing hills, but rideable with the reward of long swooping descents with sufficient viewing to enable you to really take advantage of them, I really enjoyed this stage although as usual it was further than advertised and the last 5 miles were really testing. I rode so well in fact that I finished in around the first 40 riders. I've now clocked 920 miles. Passing into Cornwall was a real buzz!
Today's stats are 8:04, 14.6 mph, 131 bpm and 131 watts. Dave clocked 9:03 yesterday but was unable to ride today. He does look a lot better now though and will ride tomorrow. We'll set off at 7 and see how he goes, I rather suspect he'll be riding off my wheel for a change.
This has to be the best sport-related adventure I've had and I can't really imagine topping this! There is such a mix of people from very fit keen young cyclists to much older people clearly stretching themselves in a challenge of a lifetime finishing long after the majority and yet plugging on day after day - totally inspiring - often clocking 12 - 13 hours a day. We also have some paralympians riding and a tandem with a blind rider - such lovely people.
The vast majority though I would say are mid-life middle class males! Many bringing with them notions of being 'paying customers'; there's nothing like camping night after night and having to queue for the portaloos to bring many down to earth.
There are numerous volunteers here too and they are the true stars of this endeavour, they man the pitstops, the info desks, physio students and providing massage services and many Deloitte employees have given up time to support where required.
Special mention to the Halford boys who have been totally awesome, and have worked late into every night to keep everyone on the road even lending parts from their own bikes where required.
I don't know when I'll blog the final episode as clearly major partying is on the agenda tomorrow.
Thank you to everyone who has supported me, and Dave, in our venture, I think we've raised around £1,000 between us.
Next stop Lands End, Grok on ...

No comments:

Post a Comment